8-Session Study Skills Workshop (16 hours)
Raise your grades, learn how to learn in high school and college, and get your work done all at the same time by taking this class!
This class is for you if you answer “yes” to any of the following questions:
- Are you tired of earning grades below your potential despite trying really hard?
- Do teachers ever say that you’re disorganized or unprepared for class?
- Do you wait to the last minute or not know how to go about studying for tests, conceiving and writing a paper, or getting started with other school projects?
- Have you ever studied really hard for a test or worked really hard on a paper, only to be disappointed and frustrated with your grade?
- Do you have one particular class that always gives you trouble or for which you frequently find yourself procrastinating?
Students will meet once per week for 8 weeks to learn to
1) effectively organize their papers and electronic documents;
2) take useful notes for tests and papers;
3) study time-efficiently for quizzes, tests, and exams;
4) plan and write first-rate essays; and
5) produce top-notch multi-media projects.
Skills covered include: active reading, effective note-taking techniques, test-studying and test-taking techniques, brainstorming, outlining and proofing skills, memorization techniques, building historical frameworks, and organization and time management skills.
Each 2 hour class is designed to kill two birds with one stone. Each week during the first hour, a different study skill will be presented and demonstrated. After a short break, students will practice these essential skills by completing assignments for their current school classes!